Job offer: Project Coordinator – Baidoa, South West State of Somalia.
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project PROJECT ID: P172434 Grant No.: IDA-D8370 Assignment Title: Project Coordinator Reference No.: SO-MOECHE-299679-CS-INDV Place of assignment: Beydhaba Southwest Somalia Submission deadline: 16th September 2022
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project. The project is designed to provide interventions to improve system effectiveness, instructional quality, and learning outcomes across all Federal Member States.
The Project consists of the following four key components: (1) System Building – This component will focus on strengthening systems at the FGS and the FMS levels to implement Somalia Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP); (2) Expansion of access to quality schooling for the disadvantaged – This component will help Somalia roll out practical and economical ways to begin to redress the < 20% enrollment rate challenge faced by most districts in Somalia, among the world indicators; (3) Enhanced instruction quality – This component will develop a 2-year Teacher Professional Development Program (TPDP) that will be delivered using a blended learning approach and support 6,000 teachers to complete the program. Activities will include the design, development, testing, refinement, and large-scale implementation of the TPDP; and (4) Project Management – Current capacity at all administrative levels, FGS, FMS levels, regional and district levels is weak. The project will procure key project staff at the FGS and FMS levels and consulting services to support the FGS to oversee school construction design, engineering, and supervision and capacity building to support FGS contract management.
Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
This project is seeking to hire a qualified project coordinator at the Federal Member State level to manage and oversee the day-to-day implementation of the project activities and closely work with the Project Manager and Project Management Unit (PMU). Specific duties of the Project Coordinator will include:
- Oversee the overall activities of the project at the FMS level, including administrative, safeguards and other technical aspects of the project.
- Supervise financial spending and ensure that are all in line with the project’s objectives, plans, policies and guidelines.
- Lead the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to ensure successful delivery of the project activities as planned, provide financial delivery and other key milestones reports on-time to the Project Manager.
- Provide regular reports/updates to the Director-General of federal Member State on project progress and challenges and also to the Project Manager.
- Lead the implementation of the project according to its design parameters outlined in the PAD, including all environmental, and social risk mitigation.
- Work closely with the project team locally/nationally, and with all other partners, oversight their performance, and serve as a focal point for the Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project at Southwest level.
- Lead the preparation of the project safeguards at the FMS level to ensure that the project implementation is in compliance with World Bank Environment and Social Framework (ESF) and as outlined in the World Bank Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP).
- Lead the implementation of the agreed measures and actions towards environment and social risk management, in accordance with the ESF and as outlined in the ESCP and other relevant environmental and social instruments (SMP, SEP and LMP).
- Work closely with FGS program manager in the preparation of a consolidated annual action plans according.
- Support the Ministry for implementation of another world bank funded project SOMALIA EMPOWERING WOMEN THROUGH EDUCATION AND SKILLS PROJECT – “RAJO KAABA”
Skills and Qualifications
Selection will be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- BA in Education related areas, Education Policy, Public Administration, Education Policy and Planning, or other relevant social sciences.
- At least 5 years of work experience preferably in all levels of the education sector, in the areas of education policy development, capacity building, coordination, development in education, etc.
- Experience and knowledge in Somalia’s education systems and reform.
- Prior experience working with the Federal and State Ministries is highly preferable.
- Experience in working with international development partners and other non-state education providers.
- Experience in working in a hardship environment.
- Prior experience working with the Federal and State Ministries of Education is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of Word Bank Operations in Somalia will be considered a plus.
- Fluency in English and Somali.
- Strong writing and organizational skills in English, team player, and effective action oriented.
- Ability to travel to the field.
- Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months with possibility for extension based on performance and requirement. The duty station is Beydhaba Southwest Somalia.
- The Southwest Ministry of Education Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) now invites eligible candidates to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested candidates must submit the following: (i) Curriculum Vitae (CV) in MS-Word format with 3 reference persons; (ii) copies of certificates of academic qualifications; and (iii) cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.moe.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application to the address indicated below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 and 3.21 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants selection method set out in the “Procurement Regulations”.
How to apply – Job offer: Project Coordinator – Baidoa, South West State of Somalia
Interested Candidates may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm EA time (Excluding public holidays).
The Expressions of interest (EOI), CV with 3 reference persons and certificates of academic qualifications must be delivered by e-mail to: [email protected] Cc: [email protected] on or before 16th September 2022 at 12:00 Hours (EA Time) – marked clearly as “Project Coordinator – Southwest – Education for Human Capital Development Project”.
NB: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.