Job offer: Temporary Finance Officer – Hargeisa, Somaliland. Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection, and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy. Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
TITLE: Temporary Finance Officer TEAM/PROGRAMME: LOCATION: Hargeisa GRADE: 4 CONTRACT LENGTH: 6 Months
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: (select only one)
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
To assist the Field Manager & Budget Holders in the operation of Save the Children Hargeisa Finance
including computerized accounting systems to produce analytical reports.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
- Reports to: Area Finance Coordinator
- Staff reporting to this post: None at this time
- Role Dimensions: Save the Children operates across all zones in Somaliland and currently has three offices and a staff of over 160.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
1. Ensure daily capture of data to the system, validate before posting transactions from GLACOS to AGRESSO Accounts and report any differences to the Area Office. 2. Prepare incentives/salaries of seconded staff for various projects 3. Facilitate and follow up for program advances and their settlements 4. Overseeing and Finalizing archive and uploading to DMS for each month 5. Review activity plans and their budgets-TOR 6. Ensure monthly financial diaries are strictly adhered to meet the CENTRE deadlines 7. Reconciling balance sheet/control accounts for Hargeisa transactions on a monthly basis 8. Ensure proper files are maintained in the Finance Department to enable a complete audit trail from the AGRESSO account records to supporting documentation and vice versa. 9. Carry out weekly and monthly cash (Including Float) and bank reconciliation in AGRESSO accounts with the Cashier and Accountant. 10. Ensure realistic cash forecasts are provided by budget holders, assist the Finance Manager in collating cash requests and Monitor the cash and banks balances and ensure minimum bank balances at all times 11. Maintain updated electronic copies of project budgets and work with project managers and project teams in the monthly budget monitoring and variance analysis meetings. 12. Prepare Payrolls on time, insure the deduction of salary Advances/Loans and Deposit staff salary on their accounts before 25th of every month. 13. Preparation and participation of external audit exercises with external auditors for Grant Audits and subsequent implementation of recommendation. 14. 12. Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to health and safety, security, equal opportunities and other relevant policies. 15. Organize and plan training sessions for newly recruited Hargeisa based Budget holders and project staffs for the existing SC financial policies and procedures 16. Establish effective working relationship with staff under your line-management responsibility conducting routine supervision meetings and annual performance appraisals 17. Support the project teams to produce monthly, quarterly, mid-term and final financial reports in line with donor and SC requirements 18. Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safe guarding children in accordance the Child Protection Policy. 19. Review partiners monthly financial reports, insure supporting documentations are complete and compliance with save the children and donner rules and regulations 20. Develop partiter financial reporting schedules, track financial reporting submission and share monthly report to management 21. Develop partiners monitoring plan and visit to parteners and share with area finance manager for review. 22. Take part in partner capacity assessment, audits, and annual reviews and assist area finance manager in developing capacity building plans to the partners
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values · holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved. Ambition:
· sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same · widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others · future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· develops and encourages new and innovative solutions · willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree or equivalent accounting qualification
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Minimum 4 years similar work experience within a busy working environment · Computer skills especially in Ms Excel, spread sheets, Ms Word and Accounting packages · High level of integrity and ability to work as part of a professional team · Ability and willingness to work under high pressure to meet tight deadlines · Good communication and interpersonal skills · Supportive personnel management style · Good command of English written and spoken
Additional job responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy, all employees are also expected to carry out their duties in accordance with SCI protection from sexual exploitation and abuse.
Health and Safety
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to apply
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent. Qualified persons with disabilities and qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified applicants can view the profile and apply for this position through the below URLs:-
- The closing date will be 14th September 2022.